Sunday, June 28, 2009

I love you LOTR, but where is the middle-earth love?

MEN OF GONDOR, CHILDREN AND WOMEN OF ROHAN, EVEN YOU ORKS IN MORDOR - SHAME ON YOU ALL!!

For you have all stood quiet for far too long!

For those who have read the first line of this blog and have expressed raised eyebrows of confusion, fret not. Remove your quizzical and puzzled expressions! This blog post is, like my last, in regards to a film. But lets put down our disney videos for a moment and turn away from our dusty VHS. Lets instead focus our attention on another fantastic movie:

Lord of the Rings.

For a total of nine hours and 30 minutes, I have sat at this chair and I have brought out all three dvds to watch Peter Jackson's marvel play out before my eyes. Yes, for a total of 558 minutes, I have watch Frodo and Sam undertake their rather 'intimate' journey to Mordor. For a whopping 33480 seconds, I have admired Orlando Blooms long feminine hair from afar and for a total of 33480000 milliseconds, I thought to myself of how I would one day like to learn a really crude phrase in Elvish and never tell anyone what it meant when I said it.

I love this movie dearly, it remains to this day as one of my favourites. But there is one thing, just one little thing that unsettles me when I turn to "Return of the King" - the last of the trilogy.

Over and over again, I keep hearing how much
everyone is worried about Frodo. Okay, fair enough. After all, he IS undertaking a selfless journey in order to rid the world of an evil tyranny and he IS placing his life at risk by being around Orks and miraculously escapes the man-pig-bear race at their every turn. I
understand that and I give you kudos Frodo.

But, all this concern for Frodo - it's not right!!

Why is this my fellow blogspotarians?

BECAUSE THIS CONCERN IS NEVER (And I really do mean 'never') DIRECTED TOWARDS THE HOBBIT WHO IS ARGUABLY, DOING MORE THAN FRODO!

SAMWISE GAMGEE!!!
The Black-Eyed Peas stated it well: "Where is the love?"

I mean, okay. It's totally fine to worry about Frodo. But have you ever raised that quizzical eyebrow of yours when they never really mention anything in regards to Sam? It's always 'Frodo Frodo Frodo'!!

But don't just trust my word for it. ONCE AGAIN, I HAVE EVIDENCE!! FEAST YOUR EYES ON THESE QUOTES!
As you can see, I took the liberty of highlighting and enlarging the name 'Frodo'.

Aragorn: We have time. Every day Frodo moves closer to Mordor.
Gandalf: Do we know that?
Aragorn: What does your heart tell you?
Gandalf: That Frodo is alive. Yes. Yes, he's alive.

Gandalf: Because 10,000 Orcs now stand between Frodo and Mount Doom. I've sent him to his death.
Aragorn: No. There is still hope for Frodo. He needs time... and safe passage across the plains of Gorgoroth. We can give him that.
Gimli: How?
Aragorn: Draw out Sauron's armies. Empty his lands. Then we gather our full strength and march on the Black Gate.
Eomer: We cannot achieve victory through strength of arms.
Aragorn: Not for ourselves. But we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's Eye fixed upon us. Keep him blind to all else that moves

Merry: [triumphantly, as Barad-Dur crumbles] Frodo! Frodo!

Aragorn: For Frodo

Gandalf: Frodo has passed beyond my sight. The darkness is deepening.

WHY DOESN'T ANYONE CARE WHAT HAPPENS TO SAM!!!
Its not like they are unaware that Sam is with him:
Gandalf: Faramir? This is not the first halfing to have crossed your path.
Faramir: No.
Pippin: You've seen Frodo and Sam?
Gandalf: Where? When?
I mean, I feel sorry for the bloody hobbit! Think about it, Sam has to put up with a dark, angst-ridden companion who has, on at least one occasion, attempted to kill him (at the end of movie 2 when Frodo holds a sword to his throat) Plus I mean, Frodo's hardly easy to put up with. He keeps bloody falling into lakes or, in battle, is too afraid to even draw his sword. Sam does all the fighting for him! Even when it comes down to that bloody spider!

Sam protects him from physical, mental and emotional harm (Gollum being a part of this) only to be snubbed and told to go home. And before the hardcore LOTR fans scream to me "YOU SHALL NOT PASS MY BERATING AND INSULTING OF YOU!!!" let me reiterate that I am only referring to the film and not the novels. I know for a fact that Frodo is much more couragious in the novels as opposed to the films. But I suppose I go off in a tangent. It's not about whether which hobbit does more. Its the fact that NO ONE WORRIES ABOUT SAM!!

I MEAN, LOOK AT THAT FACE!! HOW COULD YOU NOT??


And (to venture on a completely different note) another thing that gets my blood boiling - at the conclusion of the last film, why does Aragorn say "My friends... you bow to no one" to Pippin? I can understand why he'd bow to Sam, Frodo and Merry (for helping stab the witch king) but... Why Pippin? I mean, honestly, what did he do? Sure he saved Faramir's life... but I'm pretty sure a lot of warriors saved lives! Like Gandalf, Legolas, Gimli... Even Eowyn for instance! She killed the bloody witch king! She's probably wondering, "well... where's MY bloody bow?"
It was like earlier this week. My sister and I were (unwillingly) watching this ABC television show. We all know the ones - the ones with two over-enthusiastic helium-induced television hosts. The kind who say "whoopsidoops" when they fall over (and yes, that was a direct quote). The two television hosts were giving a trophy to a little girl who 'went to the toilet ALL BY HERSELF!!' *le gasp*
My sister and I stared at each other for a moment.
"Well, wheres my bloody trophy?" was my immediate response.

Now don't get me wrong- I'm sure Samwize the Brave can go to the bathroom all by himself too, but doesn't he deserve... well, not a trophy per say, but AT LEAST people worrying about him?
Tell me what you think about this. I haven't seen the extended edition of the films so perhaps there is something I've missed... Is their any sense to my argument or should it all be flushed down the toilet?
On that same note, I think i'll write to the good people of ABC and demand them for my toilet trophy...
x

3 comments:

  1. Yep, heard this before. On a slightly serious note I guess we feel more inclined to sympathise with Sam as an audience, because we can all relate to him way more. I mean how many of us have had to bear an evil ring of perfect gold that would spell the doom of all mankind if it fell into the wrong hands? But of course we've all had an annoying best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I don't know about YOU ben but just this morning, i wielded a ring of great evil and had to destroy it for the good of civilisation! haha! But i get what your saying - its much easier to sympathize with Sam... That being said though, due to said easiness, shouldn't Aragorn, Gandalf and friends be at least, enquiring/worrying about him???
    btw, when i next see you, I'm giving you a copy of Brisingr. in return, you can give me one of the anne rice novels!! heh heh! You HAVE to read Brisingr!! It's just epic and fantastic (not as good as Eldest though)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only rings I ever have to destroy for the sake of civilisation are burger rings... *sigh*, I feel as if I should be put down for making that horrible joke. Even more so because I haven't simply pressed backspace to destroy it, for the sake of all civilisation.

    That I can do, however I have first commited myself to a carnal sin. I'm trading another friend Interview with the Vampire for Twilight, so that when I rag out on the novel in future I can actually say I've read it now. I feel so dirty. I can, however lend you The Vampire Lestat, which is probably better than Interview and you don't NEED to have read the first to get into it. Up to you if you want to wait, or not. That said, I may get Interview back before uni even starts.

    ReplyDelete